He grabbed a shovel to try to kill them. After hitting one of the snakes several times, the thing kept trying to slither away. I grabbed a butcher knife (in hindsight, I realize how ridiculous this sounds!), and attacked the snakes. I hacked one practically in half, and the resilient little thing kept sticking his tongue out and trying to move.
I snapped a few pics to compare to ones online and make sure they were baby rattlesnakes. Unfortunately for the snakes, they were only innocent garter snakes, which are actually helpful to gardens. Now I'm praying that I didn't anger the "garden gods" and this won't be a bad omen for the rest of the season. In my defense, I really did think they were rattle snakes. Baby rattle snakes aren't born with the "rattles," so I didn't know how else to distinguish them, and had to make a quick call. Sorry baby snakes!
As if that weren't bad enough, Chris then used the weed-eater a few minutes later and killed a big frog living under our tree. It wasn't a good day for wildlife in our backyard!




1 comment:
Totally laughing right now because I would've done the same thing and used a butcher knife. What else is a girl to use?! It's our only weapon besides a flat iron and who wants to ruin that?!? Too funny! Hopefully your garden grows without the help of the wildlife :)!!
Post a Comment